Search This Blog

Saturday, July 14, 2012



I used to sell Usborne books. They are awesome and it made me a total children's books snob. About half of our kids' books are published by Usborne. Olivia received the Usborne bible stories book this past Christmas from my cousin's family. It came with a CD which has been playing, seriously, non-stop in our car for the last two or three months. She has become very familiar with the stories in the book and has lead to some interesting conversations.
A few nights ago, we were listening to the story of Jairus's daughter. We got to the part where Jesus asked everyone to leave the house except for the girl's parents and the disciples right before he raised her from the dead.
O: The dee-cycles (disciples) got to stay? Why?
Me: Because they were Jesus's special friends. They got to watch Jesus do lots of miracles.
O: They watched quietly?
Me: Yep.
(How many times has she heard us tell her to do something quietly?)

And then last night while she was taking a bath:
O: What is the Christmas story about?
Me: Christmas is when Jesus came to the world as a baby. Easter is when he was a grown man and he died on the cross to take away our sins. A sin is when we do a bad thing, but we can ask God to forgive us and then he does! Have you ever done a bad thing?
O: No.
Me: Yes you have. Do you think I have?
O: No.
Me: Yes I have! Everyone has sinned. Everyone does bad things some time.
O: But not Kyle.  (my brother)
Me: Yes, even Uncle Kyle has sinned.
I'll be sure to tell him Olivia has elevated him to saint status.

The other day after buckling her doll into Evie's car seat: "I'm taking my baby to Nazareth."

While eating lunch last week (making her fork "walk" across the table)  "This is Jesus. The people laid palms down for him. He was their leader."

I can only imagine the things we'd be hearing if she were listening to junk radio for all those hours...

No comments:

Post a Comment