Search This Blog

Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Three Little Pigs - Part I

For the past few months, ever since acting it out as a game at my aunt and uncle's with her cousins, Olivia has been obsessed with the story of the Three Little Pigs. We play it at home (she alternates between wanting to be a pig or the Big Bad Wolf) and she very frequently requests we tell her the story. We don't have the story in book form so a few weeks ago, I was searching for alternative ways to deliver the story when I came across a You Tube video. It is the Disney "Silly Symphony" version from 1933 that I remember seeing as a kid. It is eight and a half minutes of cartoon gold. Olivia doesn't watch TV/movies yet so it was a huge treat for her to get to watch the video. She has since seen it probably five or six times. She loves the whole thing, but there are a few key moments that tend to be acted out often around our house. Of course, the "not by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin" is a favorite line, as is the chorus "Who's afraid of the big bad wolf, the big bad wolf...fa la la la la la!" But her other favorite part is when the first pig has finished building his (very poorly constructed) straw house and has a bunch of time to kill while Pig #3 slaves away. He decides to use his time to sing the jaunty "big bad wolf" chorus, which includes a couple verses. Thirty seconds into the video, Pig #1 sings, "I toot my flute and I don't give a hoot and I play around all day." Olivia has adopted this as her #1 favorite line of the video. Daily, at least, she'll chant that, whilst playing her imaginary flute (which she interprets as more of a clarinet-type instrument, judging from her hand position). For the first few weeks, I let her mistakenly say, "I don't give a hoop" until I finally corrected her. For some reason, she feels the most light-hearted and moved to sing this after her bath, when she is naked and fancy-free, usually in front of the mirror. It's a hilarious and wholly-Olivia scene.
More on this "toot my flute" narrative in the next day or two, as things turned vulgar...

Watch the (super fun and entertaining even for adults) You Tube video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olo923T2HQ4

No comments:

Post a Comment