Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

We went to a baby shower today.
At first explanation, I told Olivia it was a baby party, which sounded misleading, so I changed the description to "a party for ladies who are going to have babies." More accurate, but still confusing, so I finally told her we're going to a baby shower. Women who have babies get to have a party where people shower them with gifts. No one will be taking a shower, only being showered by gifts. I think she sort of got it.
When she got up from her nap, I reminded her we were going to a baby shower. She elaborated, "There won't be one" (a wet, watery shower, that is.) That's correct.
I put her in a dress and did her hair and we were about to leave when I realized I hadn't diapered her yet - taken off the wet diaper - yes, but not yet put on a clean one. I laughed and dramatically told her what I had realized:
"Pie! Mommy forgot to put a diaper on you! What if we had gone to the shower and you went potty on somebody's carpet! That would be so embarrassing!"
Her very serious reply cracked me up. "I would not do that."
I told her that was good to know. She must have liked the drama in "what could have been" because she rolled the phrase over on her tongue several times for the next few minutes, "So embarrassing! So embarrassing!"

No comments:

Post a Comment