Search This Blog

Sunday, December 4, 2011

"Does Chobani have gluten in it?" is not a question, I have to think, that most two-year-old would ask.
Since learning of my Celiac disease in September, I've cut gluten entirely from my diet.  At first, I didn't say anything about my change of eating habits to Olivia. I would simply and politely decline her offers to share her mac and cheese or graham cracker. After several weeks, I fessed up that I just couldn't eat some of the food she could. I'd say, "Mommy can't eat that" if she wanted to share an off-limits food with me.  I'm not sure why I didn't tell her right away. I guess I didn't want her to think there was something wrong with me or that I was different, even though, to some extent, both of those things are true.
Earlier this week, I introduced the word "gluten." I didn't really explain what it was, just that it was in some foods and I couldn't have it, but she and Daddy could. That conversation almost immediately turned to gluten-sluething on Olivia's part. "Do pears have gluten? Does cheese have gluten? Do eggs have gluten?" and so on. A few days ago, she and I were eating lunch - soup, Chobani greek yogurt, GF breadsticks (thanks, Nicki!) and milk, and out of nowhere, Olivia asks, "Does Chobani have gluten in it?" and I had to laugh. She already knows more about Celiac than many adults! Of course, the answer was, "No, it doesn't. That's why Mommy can eat it (duh! ha ha)," but I love that she is aware and that future conversations about this will be easier. 
If you want to learn more about Celiac and it's symptoms, you can find a link by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment