Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

An Elephant in the Room

A few weeks ago I read a post on the awesome DIY blog that I follow, "YoungHouseLove" about a decorating related dream the blogger, Sherry, had. Read the post here, if you wish. The Elephant In The Room | Young House Love . It's not so far-fetched, as I found another post about it from last summer on another design blog Simplified Bee®: Design Trend: Elephant Home Décor and Feng Shui Tips.
Anyway, a few of us were cleaning out my grandma's apartment last week (she is now in a nursing home) and I told my cousin about the elephant-decorating thing. She said, "Perfect! I have just the accessory for you!" and handed me a wooden carved elephant. Though our living room is far from finished, speaking from a design point of view, I put the elephant on display next to our TV that night after I got home, amused that I incorporated the weird blogger-dream, the elephant trend, and Gram all into one.
Olivia didn't notice the elephant until this morning.
I was playing the piano and she was dancing around with her "jingle ant" instrument and singing along when she spied the elephant across the room. "There's an elephant!" she said and ran over to grab it. For the next few minutes, elephant joined jingle ant in the song and dance bit until...Olivia dropped the elephant. The tip of its ear cracked off and went flying across the hardwood floor. I gasped. She managed, "What did Livi do?" and I told her, "You broke the elephant. We'll have to see if Daddy can fix it when he gets home." I set it aside and used the break in our music to take Pie upstairs to change her diaper I had been avoiding.
Mid-diaper change, Olivia says to me, "You pway, Mommy?" Since both "r" and "l" sounds are "w" at this point, I tried to clarify: "You want to to play?"
"No, pWAY. For the elephant."
Than I understood. "You want me to pray for the elephant?"
Yep, that was what she suggested. So, we stopped and prayed that Daddy could fix the ear and for God to bless Great-Gram who had given us the elephant...and I thanked God for giving me a precious girl to remind me that nothing is too small to take before him.

No comments:

Post a Comment