Search This Blog

Friday, July 22, 2011

Cake talk

As Olivia and I were eating brunch together yesterday (yep, "brunch" since we were eating eggs and muffins at 11:15), we were doing some counting. She's learning about how specific numbers correlate to holding up a certain number of fingers. She surprised me by holding up five fingers and saying "five" and doing the same with four. I told her Megan was four. She proceeded to tell me she was going to be" two in August." (She needs help making the "two" with her fingers, but is quick to tell us that they are bunny ears.)
I affirmed that, yes, she'd be two next month. Then she said, "I'll have cake!" I used that to segue into cake talk.
Me: What do you want on your cake?
Olivia: Frosting!
Me: Yes, you'll have frosting! What do you want to be on the frosting. What designs?
O: Balloons.
(This seemed incredibly reasonable and appropriate...and boring. So I persisted.)
Me: What else?
O: Baby dolls. Pretend ones.
(I laughed and am cracking up now writing this since I'm obviously envisioning real babies on her birthday cake. And how hilarious of her to specify this without prompting. She kills me.)
I wanted a little more info.
Me: What color do you want your cake to be?
O: (without hesitating) Pink.
So I have my marching orders. A balloon/(pretend) baby doll-themed cake in pink. I'll see what I can do.
It was a little easier last year when she couldn't give me directions...

No comments:

Post a Comment