Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Purple and red and tan all over


In the shower the other day, Olivia was playing with her bath friends - Coral, a mermaid with purple hair, and Barbie - a Barbie-like Sleeping Beauty character. I was showering with Olivia, so was able to observe the interaction she was attempting to create amongst the three of them. It was awkward. She had Coral and Barbie facing each other, ready for a conversation, and was making them hop a little, like they were talking to one another, but clearly, couldn't think of anything for them to say. So I helped out:
(to Coral, in an obnoxious high-pitched voice) "Hi Coral. I like your purple hair!"
(to Barbie, ) "Thanks, Barbie. I like the blue streaks in your hair." (It's never too soon to teach Olivia that hair-talk dominates most girl conversations.)
I then let Olivia take over. She immediately said to her friends, "I'm Olivia and I'm red!"
Not convinced I had heard her correctly, I asked for clarification. "You're what?"
"I have red hair. And tan skin!"
True, after being at the pool the last four days...let's reassess this tan-skin business in February.

No comments:

Post a Comment